Elizabeth “Liz” Shaw is a founding partner of RezLegal, LLC. Liz is Board Certified as a Specialist in Health Law by the Florida Bar Association. She also is a Registered Nurse and a Health Care Risk Manager in the State of Florida.
Liz represents licensed healthcare providers, clinical laboratories, compounding pharmacies, executives and marketing representatives in government investigations and enforcement actions for allegations of healthcare fraud and violations of the Federal False Claims Act, Civil Monetary Penalty Law, the Stark Law and the Federal Anti-Kickback Statute.
Liz helps clients conduct internal and independent investigations, conduct witness interviews, prepare investigative reports, establish compliance programs, respond to government and private insurance payor audits and demands for overpayment, respond to requests for information, respond to search warrants, subpoenas, civil investigative demands (CIDs), craft defense strategies and procedural and substantive arguments to government allegations and comply with the requirements of OIG Corporate Integrity Agreements.
Liz is skilled in solving complex regulatory issues and helping companies develop and implement best practices designed to proactively protect their businesses and mitigate the risk of healthcare fraud and abuse.
Liz has extensive experience in analyzing and structuring complex health care arrangements to comply with federal and state fraud and abuse statutes, including, but not limited to, the Stark Law, federal and state anti-kickback statutes, federal and state false claims acts, state physician self-referral laws, fee-splitting laws and state licensing laws.
Liz combines her legal expertise with her extensive experience in nursing, risk management and the health care industry to provide clients with advice on a broad range of transactional and regulatory legal matters, including contracting, corporate compliance, joint ventures, mergers and acquisitions of health care entities, ambulatory surgery centers, medical staff issues, physician office operational issues (solo-practitioner to multi-specialty group practices), pain management clinics, urine drug testing, sleep centers, DME suppliers, imaging centers, infusion therapy, pharmacies, genetic testing, medical marijuana, telehealth, facility licensure, physician disciplinary cases, HIPAA compliance, Medicare and third-party payor audits and reimbursement matters.
- Successfully negotiated settlements with the United States Department of Justice and Office of Inspector General with no licensure revocation, suspension or exclusion from government programs on behalf of:
- Compounding pharmacies;
- Clinical laboratories;
- Physician group practices; and
- Individual physicians and other licensed healthcare providers.
- Successfully appealed 91% of the claims for urine drug testing in a Palmetto GBA Railroad Medicare Post-Payment Probe Audit for a physician pain management practice.
- Successfully appealed an overpayment demand by SafeGuard Services for a retina practice.
- Assisted a physician practice with multiple locations respond to an investigation by the Office for Civil Rights for a HIPAA breach of greater than 500 patients. The investigation was closed without any fines or penalties assessed against the client.
- Assisted a company in its capacity as a HIPAA business associate respond to an investigation by the Office for Civil Rights for a HIPAA breach of greater than 500 patients. The investigation was closed without any fines or penalties assessed against the client.
- Structured complex compensation arrangements among physicians in large practices.
- Assisted physician practices with structuring in-office ancillary services (in-office pharmacy dispensing, lab, physical therapy).
- Advised on joint venture transactions to establish diagnostic imaging centers, ambulatory surgery centers and other ancillary services arrangements.
- Assisted with structuring a pharmacy.
- Structure various types of concierge medical practices.