Elizabeth D. Shaw
Elizabeth “Liz” Shaw is a founding partner of RezLegal, LLC. Liz is Board Certified as a Specialist in Health Law by the Florida Bar Association. She also is a Registered Nurse and a licensed Health Care Risk Manager in the State of Florida. Liz represents healthcare clients in government investigations and enforcement actions involving the Federal False Claims Act, the Stark Law, the Federal Anti-Kickback Statute and HIPAA. Liz advises clients on the development and implementation of programs that are designed to mitigate the risk of healthcare fraud and abuse and assists clients in meeting the requirements of OIG Corporate Integrity Agreements.
Liz has extensive experience in analyzing and structuring complex health care arrangements to comply with federal and state fraud and abuse statutes, including, but not limited to, the Stark Law, federal and state anti-kickback statutes, federal and state false claims acts, state physician self-referral laws, fee-splitting laws and state licensing laws.
Liz combines her legal expertise with her extensive experience in nursing, risk management and the health care industry to provide clients with advice on a broad range of transactional and regulatory legal matters, including contracting, corporate compliance, joint ventures, mergers and acquisitions of health care entities, medical staff issues, physician office operational issues (solo-practitioner to multi-specialty group practices), facility licensure, physician disciplinary cases, HIPAA compliance, Medicare and third-party payor audits and reimbursement matters.
- Florida Coastal School of Law, J.D., with Honors, 1999.
- Associate Business Editor, Florida Coastal School of Law, Law Review.
- Central Michigan University, Master of Science (Health Care Administration), 1995.
- Florida State University, Bachelor of Science in Nursing, 1983.
- Board Certified as a Specialist in Health Law by the Florida Bar Association. 2006 -present
- 904 Magazine’s Legal Eagles
- Jacksonville Magazine’s Florida Bar Board Certified Attorneys
- Jacksonville Magazine’s Order in the Court: 200 Local Expert Attorneys
- Florida Super Lawyers ® – Rising Stars for Health Care Law in 2009
- RezLegal, LLC, Founder/Partner, 2014 – present.
- Reznicsek, Fraser, White & Shaffer, P.A., Attorney, 2006 – 2014.
- Akerman Senterfitt, Jacksonville, Florida, Attorney, 2002 – 2006.
- Memorial Hospital, Jacksonville, Florida, Director, Risk Management, 2000 – 2001.
- McCullough & Glary, P.A., Jacksonville, Florida, Attorney, 2000.
- Brant, Moore, Macdonald & Wells, P.A., Jacksonville, Florida, Law Clerk, 1997 – 1999.
Notable Client Work
- Assist cardiology practice to establish a cardiac catherization lab.
- Develop joint venture catherization lab arrangement between cardiology practice and hospital.
- Advise on joint venture transactions to establish diagnostic imaging centers, ambulatory surgery centers and other arrangements.
- Successfully negotiate settlements with the United States Department of Justice with no licensure revocation, suspension or exclusion from government programs on behalf of:
- Compounding pharmacies;
- Clinical laboratories;
- Physician group practices; and
- Individual physicians and other licensed health care providers.
- Structure complex compensation arrangements among physicians in large practices.
- Assist physician practices with structuring in-office ancillary services.
- Structure various types of concierge medical practices.
- Merger of physician practices to form large single-specialty and multi-specialty group practices.
- The Florida Bar (Health Law Section).
- U.S. District Court, Middle District Court of Florida.
- Member, American Health Lawyers Association.
- Member, American Bar Association.
- Member, Rotary Club of Mandarin, Jacksonville, Florida.
Recent Presentations / Lectures
- Anatomy of a Physician Contract Negotiation, University of Florida Oral Surgery Resident Program, Jacksonville, Florida (November 9, 2017).
- Webinar Panel- Enforcement Actions and Compound Pharmacies – 27 th Annual National Institute on Health Care Fraud, Fort Lauderdale, Florida (May 17, 2017).
- Compound Pharmacy Prosecutions: Past Lessons and Future Trends, Health Care Compliance Association, 21 st Annual Compliance Institute, National Harbor, Maryland (March 29, 2017).
- Win Your Contract Negotiation – Life after Residency Skills Series – Duval County Medical Society, Jacksonville, Florida (August 20, 2016).
- DOJ Targets Local Providers: Are Your Healthcare Arrangements Legal? – Clay County Medical Society, Orange Park, Florida (February 11, 2016).
- HIPAA Violations, Data Breaches and the Need for Risk Analysis/Assessment, RezLegal Client Alert (November 2015).
- Anatomy of a Contract, St. Vincent’s Family Practice Residency Program, Jacksonville, Florida (2014, 2012, 2011, 2007).
- Federal & Florida Self-Referral and Anti-Kickback Statutes, St. Vincent’s Family Practice Residency Program, Jacksonville, Florida (May 19, 2014).
- Anatomy of a Contract, Mayo Clinic Residency Program, Jacksonville, Florida (2007, 2012).
- Risk Management, Memorial Hospital, Jacksonville, Florida (September 18, 2000) Documentation Survival Skills for Nurses, Jacksonville University School of Nursing, Jacksonville, Florida (February 25, 2001).
- Critical Thinking and Documentation Survival Skills for Nurses, Memorial Hospital, Jacksonville, Florida (April 26, 2001).
- Anatomy of a Lawsuit, River City Symposium, Ponce de Leon Resort, St. Augustine, Florida (August 24, 2001).
- Risk Management Handbook for Health Care Organizations (5 th Ed.), Chapter: Managing
the Risk of Information Flow, Roberta Carroll, Editor (2006).
- Elizabeth Shaw, Patient Safety Update: Penmanship Counts, Akerman Senterfitt
Newsletter, Winter 2004.
- Marshall Burack and Elizabeth D. Shaw, contributed Florida Law Sections for: 2004
State by State Guide to Managed Care Law, Donald Levy, Editor.
- Risk Management Handbook for Health Care Organizations (4 th Ed.), Chapter 44: Data
- Management, Roberta Carroll, Editor (2004).
- Elizabeth D. Shaw, A Medical Malpractice Insurance and Asset Protection in Florida, 3
BYTES, A Publication by the Florida Academy of Family Physicians (May 2002).
- Stephen G. Prom and Elizabeth Shaw, Chapter 17, Facing Legal and Insurance Issues,
The Unofficial Guide to Alternative Medicine (1998).