R. Ryan Morris
Attorney Ryan Morris dedicates his practice to assisting healthcare providers, information technology companies, and others operating in the healthcare industry. His practice involves structuring favorable transactions and negotiating regulatory risk.
Mr. Morris specializes in provider/payor disputes and statutory frameworks such as HIPAA, anti-fraud and abuse laws (anti-kickback, self-referral, patient brokering, fee-splitting, False Claims Act, etc.), the Affordable Care Act, and ERISA.
Mr. Morris represents healthcare organizations in administrative matters, complex litigation, and corporate affairs. His experience includes billing and reimbursement matters, licensing, and a broad range of healthcare and corporate transactions involving mergers, joint ventures, sales, reorganizations and various other contractual relationships.
- J.D., Emory University School of Law (2015)
- Bachelor of Science in Political Science, University of West Georgia (2011, summa cum laude)
- RezLegal, LLC – Jacksonville, FL – Associate, 2018 – present
- Joseph, Aleem & Slowik, LLC – Associate, 2016 – 2018
- Medside Healthcare, LLC – General Counsel – 2016
- Biotek Labs, LLC – Law Clerk & Corporate Counsel – 2013 – 2015
Notable Client Work
- Structured complex business and billing arrangements in compliance with healthcare anti-fraud and abuse laws and network agreements.
- Successfully defended healthcare entities against lawsuits based upon allegations of kickbacks, fraud, civil conspiracy, ERISA, and improper claims procedures.
- Structured a joint venture between a Laboratory Information Management System software company and a laboratory.
- Defended a provider entity in oral testimony for a False Claims Act investigation involving alleged upcoding, unbundling, incorrect “incident to” billing, and misrepresented claims.
- Secured the dismissal of a $1.4 million overpayment demand by a major health insurer against a provider entity based on the insurer’s own policies, ERISA, and complex medical necessity and billing arguments.
- Negotiated the purchase of a variety of healthcare entities in bankruptcy.
- Provided advice on the implementation of new telemedicine operations and optimal billing compliance practices to numerous practices.
- Conducted presentations for medical providers on a wide variety of topics including, but not limited to, HIPAA, HITECH, the False Claims Act, and anti-fraud and abuse laws.
- Secured the dismissal of a major insurer’s prepayment review by demonstrating the provider entity’s compliance with applicable billing and reimbursement policies.
- Implemented HIPAA compliant operational guidance for healthcare providers and information technology companies.
- Negotiated and implemented corrective action plans for healthcare provider entities.
- Designed multiple ambulatory surgery center, laboratory, and group practice ventures in compliance with regulatory safe harbors and billing standards.
- Managed the reorganization of physician practices to increase growth potential.
- Licensed in Georgia
- “Shocking Testimony About Aetna: Lessons for Healthcare Counsel,” published in the Daily Report, March 2018